Things Done and Things Undone


Ten minutes out...“Did you lock the door?” Twenty minutes… “Was the iron unplugged?”
As we’re checking in to the hotel… “How about the porch lights? The trash?”

I assume our family is like most when we travel. There’s the mad rush to make it out the door on time with luggage in tow. There’s the quick stop for gas and maybe a road snack on the way out of town. And then with miles of interstate before us, we each begin thinking about all of the things we might have forgotten to do before we left. Okay, maybe my family is blissfully enjoying the trip and I’m the only one whose mind is anxiously wandering-- but you get the point.

As I write my final newsletter article for Effingham Presbyterian , I have a bit of that spirit in mind. My books are boxed up. My last visits have been made. There are new preachers scheduled to fill-in. But I can’t help thinking there are a few tasks that I’ve missed.

One of two things will happen at this point: 1) There are things that I’ve forgotten and they will be easily handled by any one of our excellent leaders or volunteers. 2) There is nothing I’ve forgotten and everything is being handled by any one of our…well-- you get the point.

Things done or undone. Things remembered or forgotten. God’s Church in Effingham has thrived since June 17, 1906 with a variety of influencers, servants, and saints. It all gets done one way or another.

God built His church on much more than you or me. It is built on Jesus Christ and yet we’re invited to take part in it: Together, we are his house, built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets. And the cornerstone is Christ Jesus himself.” (Ephesians 2:20)

I remember when I served Living Waters Presbyterian. As a brand new church, things could get pretty tight at times. We’d pray that the Lord would be glorified through our church whether the doors were open or whether they were closed.  I guess that’s kind of what I have in mind today:

“Lord, whether I have things remembered or things forgotten, be glorified! On time or running late, planned ahead or last minute, moving forward or falling short, be glorified in my life and in my church! Amen.”

In Him,
Pastor Brian

Image: valleylocksmith24-7

Popular Posts