Do You Know Your Heart?

“And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. (1 Chronicles 28:9a)


Whenever I’m praying through a desire that I have-- some opportunity, relationship, or task ahead of me, I often say something like, “Lord, you know my heart in this.” Then, I ask for wisdom, patience, clarity, or even a change of heart if that’s the case.


The Lord knows our hearts quite well. After all, He created them! He knows our desires and wishes. He knows our motives: good, bad, or mixed. It occurred to me the other day, “I know the Lord knows my heart, but do I know my heart?”


That is a point worth pondering. How often do you think you know what you want only to find out later that you were mistaken? Maybe it is an item, a trip, a promotion, a life-event, or something more interpersonal. Do you really know your own heart?


I know I don’t! I have been blessed quite often with the Lord not giving me my “heart’s desire.” He knew my heart better than I did. And that gets me thinking nowadays-- as I ask the Lord to know my heart, I also ask him to help me know it too.


“Lord, you know my heart, but do I? Give me wisdom and discernment to know myself as you know me, and to see through unhealthy motives and desires I’m not even aware of.”


In Him,

Pastor Brian

Popular Posts