Lying Lips & Potbellies


My son made a joke about my “potbelly” the other day. I kindly corrected him, pointing out that my belly is less of a pot. . . and more of a pan!  Regardless, I already knew I was a few pounds over my ideal weight.

I’ve been using an app on my phone to track my meals and exercise. It’s great to see how a brisk walk can add up to calories burned. On the other hand it’s painful to see how a few Reese’s cups can add up to calories earned.

One day, I was one dessert away from messing up my goal for the day. It occurred to me, “My app doesn't have to know about this dessert. I just won’t enter it!”  You already recognize my folly. Who would I be hurting? Who would I really be lying to? I’d only be lying to myself.

The book of Proverbs has much to say about lying. Three of my favorites are:

Proverbs 12:22 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.Proverbs 13:5 A righteous man hates lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and comes to shame.Proverbs 17:7 Excellent speech becomes not a fool: much less do lying lips a prince.

Each of these verses bears the truth that when we lie, we not only hurt our Creator. We hurt ourselves. We drive a wedge between us and God (12:22), sow self-hate and shame (13:5), or undermine our authority and reputation (17:7).

We all have blind spots where we lie to ourselves-- simple things like diet, exercise or deeper issues: a situation at work, a relationship, an attitude. We’re convinced that no one will notice or care. The “Spirit of Truth” cares (John 16:13).  The harder question might be, “Do we care?”



Image Source: http://metrofitnessclub.com/best-fitness-apps-android/

Popular Posts