Quote: John Piper on Repetition & Review in Scripture Memorization



Bible Study Magazine recently interviewed John Piper on his study methods. His approach to Scripture memorization is worth looking at. You can read the article in it's entirety here.

"I set aside a block of time in the morning (an hour

or so) to be with God alone, reading my Bible,

praying for my family, praying for the church, and

praying for my soul. And I can generally finish

my four chapters or so of Bible reading in about

20 minutes, depending on how long I pause and

contemplate. And my prayers may extend for 20 or

30 minutes. So I’ve got at least 5 or 10 minutes for

Scripture memorization in that hour..."


"...10 times read, 10 times said, and then you’ve got it.

When you come back the next day, open your Bible,

say that verse again 5 or 10 times. Then you do the

same thing with the next verse. Then you do them

both together. Finally, you shut your Bible and

leave. Then you come back and do it again.

So basically, the answer is repetition and review."


Image: danielnewman.wordpress.com

Popular Posts