Paper Wasps, Balloons, & Redeeming the Time


This past Sunday, I entered our sanctuary to find some mylar balloons sitting comfortably at the top of our 20 foot ceiling. My first thought was to leave them-- what better reminder of our children's ministry than to have a few messes here and there? On second thought, though, I realized that two giant star-shaped balloons would be distracting for our worship time.

I thought back to MacGyver, Murdock, and Jack-- how would they handle this situation? I did not have any explosives, darts, or crossbows handy so I drew upong my experience at Mitchell Road Christian Academy. It was there in Miss Brogden's Algebra class that we perfected all sorts of dangerous devices: crossbows that shot lab probes, slingshots that shot tightly rolled paper, and the paper wasp.

The paper wasp has many definitions, but I've always understood it to be a simple, elegant, and painful weapon comprised of a single rubberband and paper clip. The paperclip, when folded properly, provides two sharp points with which to inflict damage. They stick well in suspended ceilings and the backs of people's legs.

The first ballon came down in 10 shots-- the second in 2. I only wish I had a third balloon for a "one shot, one kill" proof of marksmenship As I shot my homemade weapon of tiny distruction, I thought to myself, "who knew that making paper wasps would come in handy for a pastor?" God knew!
Ephesians 5:15-17 (NKJV) "See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is."
In life, we'll have many expereinces: good, bad, silly, strange, passionate, empty, and more. God will use them all to make you who you are. He'll draw on your past as you face your future. He can even "redeem" the strangest of events to use for his Kingdom. The question is, will you seek out this redemption? Will you give your past to God, or hold on to it for yourself?

Popular Posts