Do Infants Go to Hell? (1 of 3)


(Image: stjohn.org)

This 3 part series is in response to a question that came up with our youth at Effingham Presbyterian.


Death Is Our Payment for Sin:

The question of what happens to infants when they die is one that troubles many.  There is no verse in the Bible that clearly says they go to heaven.  In fact, there are many verses that would suggest otherwise.


Some people believe in a so-called “Age of Accountability.”  Said to be age 13, some think that up until then a child has a clean slate, and a free pass to heaven.  The only problem with this belief?  It has no scriptural backing. It’s just a manmade explanation.


The Bible is clear that without faith in Jesus Christ, no sinner can have eternal life: “Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)


 It is also clear that we are sinners even before we’re born: “Surely I was sinful at birth,

sinful from the time my mother conceived me.” (Psalm 51:5)


There was a time when death did not exist.  Once sin entered the world, though, death came with it.  We’re sinners not because of what we do, but because of who we are.  We are human beings tainted by the sin of our ancestor Adam.  We do sinful things because we’re sinners, not the other way around.  Even when I’m on my best behavior, I’m a sinner.   The Bible says when it comes to being good, we all “fall short” (Romans 3:23)


From these verses, it would appear that infants, children, and those with child-like minds would not be able to understand faith in Christ and therefore be destined to hell.  However, I believe that’s not the case.

Popular Posts