Recovering from Special Services & Dr. Barry Eller
Wow, here it is already Thursday and I haven't posted in a while. We've had a good week here at Effingham Presbyterian Church. Sunday-Tuesday, Dr. Barry Eller (from Mint Hill ARP) spoke at our special services (sadly, I don't have a picture). His theme was "Back to the Future: Re-discovering your first love." You can listen (or download) via the sermon player at EffinghamARP.org.
Barry made some great points, many of which will likely enter my list of things to steal from other preachers:
- "The worst things are not the last things."
- "The first word of the good news is 'repent.'"
- "John the Baptist was one ugly dude [with one beautiful message]."
- Say things that insiders can't.
- Notice things that insiders don't.
- Energize things that insiders have forgotten.
Barry was gracious in his time with us here at EPC, having lunch with folks, visiting members, and allowing me to grill him on all aspects of ministry. He's served churches young and old, established and starting up, so he has a few stories to tell and some lessons learned.